Subject: NFS client-side components question

From: Jim Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:30:04 -0800

I'm developing a moderate sized ramdisk image to be used on an embedded
project, and I'm having trouble getting all of the NFS client-side file
dependencies sorted out on the ramdisk.  I'm using YDL installed on
powermacs for my hosts & servers (not cross-hosted from x86 boxes).  The
NFS mounts work fine when mounted from another powermac or when the
embedded system is Root-On-NFS booted (both of which have a full YDL
install).

The problem is that when the embedded system is booted to ramdisk, and
then an NFS mount of the server is attempted;  the mount command goes
away, and eventually a "portmap: server localhost not responding, timed
out" message pops up.  The NFS server box is listed in the /etc/hosts
file.

My ramdisk image has been built by taking various components from a YDL
install;  this is so that the target embedded environment (ramdisk) has
compatibility with customer's lab machines (typically YDL boxes).  It's
my opinion that I have missed something on the client-side when
assembling the ramdisk image.  Does anyone know where I can find a
listing of the dependencies within the various NFS client components
(mount, nfs, rpc, libs, etc)?  Thanks, everyone.

--
Sincerely,

Jim Potter
45th Parallel Processing

  Firefighting: Bustin' ours, Savin' yours.

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/