Subject: Re: Regarding consistent_alloc

From: Dan Malek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 14:45:35 -0500

Matt Porter wrote:

> That's what I said...but you clipped it out.  Once again,
> consistent_alloc provides the caller everything they need.
> An uncached mapping, a phys address, and from that you can use
> __va() to get the cached mapping.

Well, in my defense.......I think you said you can use __va()
to get a kernel virtual address :-)  To further confuse thing,
yes it will give you a virtual address, but it isn't one that
you want to use.

> Seemed clear enough to me the first time.  My definition of a
> "kernel virtual address" is the lowmem cached mapping.

It wasn't clear to me, and "kernel virtual address" really can't
carry any other attributes since they are used to map a variety
of address spaces, including non-cached and highmem :-)  You
need to update your glossary :-)

Thanks.

	-- Dan

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/