Subject: Re: Serial Console Login Fails

From: Mark Hatle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 07:59:10 -0500

Martin Hicks wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 07:41:40AM +0530, Aman wrote:
>
>>"T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100"
>>Bcos of which during the linux bootup , there wont be console message on the
>>screen , after some time , there is a login prompt
>><none>login:
>>If I try login then it waits for some seconds and then display the same i.e
>><none>login:
>
>
> You don't have "ttyS0" in /etc/securetty

Actually if that was the case you'd get a login denied message of some type..
If you don't have an /etc/securetty then it allows all logins.. (that is the
typical setup of systems we recommend for our customers development systems..)

The problem is that they are missing either the pam libraries or they are
missing /bin/login.  Turn on syslogd, set a console to go right to a shell and
look at the output of /var/log/messages.  This will tell you what is missing.
It is usually /bin/login is missing, secondary cause is PAM (or a module) is
missing, or that your /etc/passwd and/or /etc/group files are missing or corrupt.

(I wonder if we should create a FAQ for this list and post it once a month..
this question/answer come up at _LEAST_ once a week.. doesn't anyone read the
list archives?)

--Mark

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/