Subject: Re: Bare bones filesytem using Karim's book

From: Karim Yaghmour <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 19:56:18 -0400

Hello Brian,

Apart from what Wolfgang has already said, I would add the following
gotchas:
- Make sure the library you are linking your init to, whichever one it
may be, is actually functional. I have seen some glibc versions
compile fine and fail to work on the target. See the 4th paragraph
on p. 112 for an example. Suggestion: try a different C library
version.
- Your libs may not be properly located. Suggestions: try linking
your init statically.
- Try putting something else as init. Use the init= kernel boot param
to pass some custom statically linked program that does something
obvious (while(1) printf(...); for example) and check if that works.

[email-masked] wrote:
> Any quick thoughts on why this might be happening? To provide a comparison benchmark as I worked through this, I copied the (i) dev files, (ii) inittab and (iii) rc.sysinit from chapter 6 of the book (my "from scratch filesytem") to the ELDK stripped down target filesystem and this setup still boots.

Right, this sounds like a library thing. Though I may be wrong.

> Most of the above were left in as I felt they needed to be there or they were "required" sysVinit or initscripts, which I didn't want to remove...

Better watch out for having both sysVinit and BusyBox-init as Wolfgang
already pointed out.

HTH,

Karim

--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits
http://www.opersys.com || [email-masked] || 514-812-4145

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/