Subject: [PATCH] Solves problems when PHY has no interrupts

From: Dean Matsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 21:06:10 -0700

Hello all,

the enclosed patch applies to the Monta Vista 2.4.22-pre3 kernel
or thereabouts.

Our PPC implementations have no PHY IRQ support.  I notice that
the file arch/ppc/8xx_io/fec.c now has a variable HAVE_PHY_INTERRUPT,
which is something like what I originally did.  But, I had to
make another change as well.

Specifically, I had to move some initialization code around for the
Ethernet to work properly after "ifconfig eth0 down ; ifconfig eth0 up".
Without these changes, the Ethernet doesn't come back "up" :(

The changes in this patch are done so that people WITH a PHY interrupt
have things done in the original order (I can't verify my change
against a system WITH PHY interrupts, so I preserved the order).
In short, this fix should be safe for all systems, but maybe
overly paranoid.

Anyone care to inspect and comment on the viability of this patch?

TIA
Dean Matsen