Subject: Re: using bdi2000 to debug ppcboot on mpc7455

From: "Mark A. Greer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:27:40 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:

>Once you get all this working, could you please do me a favor and let
>me know if you ever have any problems with single step ("mon ti" or
>"stepi") not working?  I have a lot of trouble with this with my
>7447/Discovery II combo and I am trying to figure out if it is a board
>issue or a processor issue or a BDI issue.
>
>
Hi Brad.

I almost exclusively use the telnet interface (and hard breakpoints) to
the bdi b/c I do a lot of early on debug.  I have noticed with certain
processors that a single step will occasionally go several instructions
before stopping.  Unfortunately, I don't remember which processors I see
that on and I've never had a 7447 to try.  What I'm getting at is: a)
yes, I have seen some [minor] breakpoint problems with the bdi (or
possibly the breakpoint implementation on the processor); and b) try
using the telnet interface to eliminate a possible gdb-related problem.

Just my $0.02.

Mark

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/