Subject: gdb problems

From: "Christopher R. Johnson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:48:31 -0500

Maybe not the right list for this, if you have a suggestion for
somewhere better let me know...

My new tool chain build is working well, except that debugging with
gdb/gdbserver is somewhat broken.  I figured out that I needed thread_db
and have that built in now and delivered to the target platform.

Problem #1: When I start host side gdb, I get the message:
warning: unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function
GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers
and track explicitly loaded dynamic code

I don't need to debug initializers, so I set a breakpoint at main and
continue.  Two error messages appear:
Error while mapping shared library sections:
/lib/ld.so.1: No such file or directory
Error while mapping shared library symbols:
/lib/ld.so.1: No such file or directory

The program starts and breakpoint don't work.

Problem #2:  (Maybe related?) on the target side gdbserver, after
starting things with "c" on the host side, this message appears:
gdb: error initializing thread_db library.
gdb: error initializing thread_db library.

Yes, twice.

Why is the host side looking in /lib for target libraries?  Can I
control that?  How?

Why is gdbserver on the target having trouble?  I see I have correctly
delivered the thread_db library in /lib on the target, so what gives?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.  I build my toolchain
with crosstools.

--
Christopher R. Johnson

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/