Subject: fbdev_drv/xfree86 getting rid of /dev/tty0 console

From: Kate Alhola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 10:12:28 +0300

I try to use Xfree86 with fbdev_drv in embedded system and i got stuck
to "xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0" or
"xf86OpenConsole: Cannot find a free VT" etc.

The problem is that the device is embedded ppc without any console at
all and least there won't never be
one in /dev/tty0 that is normally linked to serial port.

The problem is that /dev/tty0 looks a like to be hardcoded to
"xf86OpenConsole(void)" in xfree86 lnx_init.c and
it is called unconditionally from xf86Init.c . I have not found any
switch to switch console off from xfree86
config files. Also linkig /dev/tty to /dev/null or /dev/vcs0 etc does
not help, it just replaces
"can not open" error with "Cannot find a free VT".

I know that i  can hack xfree86 source and remove this dependency by
hand but it looks a like
not to be right or most elegant solution because i can't believe that i
am first one that tries to use
fbdev in embedded hw without any console.

The the linux distribution and filesystem is stantard eldk 3.0 ppc_82xx .

Kate

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/