Subject: MPC8540 experience

From: Clemens Koller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:50:53 +0200

Hello, dear list members!

This is my first mail here, so hopefully, everything works fine...

We at Anagramm GmbH, located in Germany/Munich, are planning to setup
an embedded system for our new image grabbing/camera platform
utilizing the Freescale MPC8540 (PowerQUICC III) processor.

I am planning to use tested hardware components for the first
prototyping setup to concentrate on getting things going without
worrying about broken HW. The goal is to get a portable
solution with fast interfaces for about 10..50+ MBytes/s throughput.
(Local Bus Bulk Data/IO or RapidIO or GPIO to Gigabit Ethernet)

Additionally we want to add up an interface for a small TFT Panel.
I think about putting a Silicon Motion (SMI) Graphics controller (SM712 
or SM501) on the PCI bus. I am already in contact with SMI about HW/SW 
support from them.

I think about porting some old xfree drivers from SMI to a current
2.4 or 2.6 kernel or writing a framebuffer device driver for the 
graphics. Is there anybody with a similar setup and/or some similar 
tasks to get Linux with X11 to work on targets like this?
Later on we want to port our image processing environment and
a Qt-GUI to the platform for some products.

Best greets,

Clemens Koller
_______________________________
R&D Imaging Devices
Anagramm GmbH
Rupert-Mayer-Str. 45/1
81379 Muenchen
Germany

http://www.anagramm.de
Phone: +49-89-741518-50
Fax: +49-89-741518-19