Subject: Re: uboot and ppc405

From: Stephen Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:59:26 -0700

Peter Ryser wrote:

>> btw Peter, I've been moaning about the weird interrupt behaviour of
>> the SysACE on e.g. the Memec board for some time (see archives for
>> various other people's experiences too) - and I've spoken to several
>> folks at Xilinx without getting very far. If there's a fundamental
>> problem then it probably makes sense for us to help get it fixed.
>>
> Hmm, I'm not aware of any interrupt problems with System ACE CF. For 
> Linux it works for a long time unchanged as published in the 
> linuxppc_2_4_devel and linuxppc-2.4 repositories. I'm operating my own 
> web and mail server on a V2P based board using a 1GB MicroDrive through 
> System ACE CF as the root and swap filesystems. The system is up and 
> running for months now. No special tricks or hacks just a 
> straight-forward EDK FPGA design with a MVL kernel.

The SystemACE in the linuxppc-2.4 kernel works fine for me on
our JSE board. We keep a lightly used ext3 partition for root,
and a FAT partition in the beginning for boot and ACE files.
The Xilinx HAL, though ugly as sin, has not given us trouble.

We use a PPC405GPr with the SystemACE connected to a peripheral
bus. No VIIPro here. this is surely different from the ML300,
yet it works.

-- 
Steve Williams                "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
steve at icarus.com           But I have promises to keep,
http://www.icarus.com         and lines to code before I sleep,
http://www.picturel.com       And lines to code before I sleep."