Subject: Re: [FYI] linux 2.6 still not working with PReP (ppc32)

From: Christian Kujau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 18:41:55 +0100

Sebastian Heutling schrieb:
> You got the powerstack booting from scsi (reading and interpreting the

yes, but now the disk is gone and i have to use nfsroot.

> bug report). I had problems booting 2.6 kernels as well (never tested
> any 2.5 kernels). It turned out that the pci slot numbering has changed
> sometime and this wasn't reflected in arch/ppc/platforms/prep_pci.c.
> After having set up the slot0...slot8 using the values of
> slot10...slot18 (except for slot1 which got value 4 so IDE is usable out
> of the box), the machine booted a 2.6 kernel (2.6.8).

boy! this *is* an early christmas present, for sure! how did you come to
this conclusion? something *must* have changed in the pci setup after
2.5.30, because the problem did not go away when i used a different NIC
driver. but i could not fiddle out the changeset to blame here, because i
failed to compile many kernels > 2.5.30.

changing one line in arch/ppc/platforms/prep_pci.c made my PReP booting a
recent 2.6-BK, patch attached.

it's booting now, "init=/bin/bash" is working, but i still can't ping to
the outside world, which is still a bit strange, but i hope i can work it out.

tausend dank (really),
Christian.
- --
BOFH excuse #304:

routing problems on the neural net
--- linux-2.5-PPC-BK/arch/ppc/platforms/prep_pci.c	2004-12-05 18:20:04.000000000 +0100
+++ linux-2.5-PPC-BK/arch/ppc/platforms/prep_pci.c.edited	2004-12-05 18:21:33.000000000 +0100
@@ -61,7 +61,7 @@
         0,   /* Slot 11 - unused */
         5,   /* Slot 12 - SCSI - NCR825A */
         0,   /* Slot 13 - unused */
-        3,   /* Slot 14 - enet */
+        1,   /* Slot 14 - enet */
         0,   /* Slot 15 - unused */
         2,   /* Slot 16 - unused */
         3,   /* Slot 17 - unused */