Subject: Re: [FYI] linux 2.6 still not working with PReP (ppc32)

From: evilninja <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 01:54:10 +0100

Marc Dietrich schrieb:
> Hi Christian,

actually, Sebastian is the helping hand here ;)

> Yes - a hard disk and a cdrom. Both are working under 2.4 kernels (see the 
> boot.log of the 2.4.24-pre1 kernel). I don't use net boot. My system (debian 
> sarge) is installed on sda3. Anyway - also on a netboot system, the kernel 
> should hang when trying to initialize the scsi controler.

i can't help you much at the scsi-issue here. as i said, i don't have a
disk attached to the machine any more. the last time i booted with disk
was a 2.4 kernel. and these errors (ABORT operation started / timed-out)
occured upon heavy load on the scsi bus. i think i've never booted a 2.6
kernel with a scsi disk attached. but the errors look familiar :-(

> I setup a kernel using your config file and added vga console and offb and 
> removed the nfs drivers to get an image smaller then 1.44 Mb (I'm using 
> XFree86-3.3.6 with the cirrus 5664 card). This has the same effect than 
> before: scsi not working. 

:-(

> It seems, that this config is not for a 2.6.10 kernel. What kernel version are 
> you using? Maybe some bad things happened in newer kernels.

ironically, now that i am able to netboot the machine, i'm not *using* it
anymore. but i'm building PReP kernel everyday, results and a config-file
is here:

http://www.nerdbynature.de/bits/sheep/latest-kernel/

> Can you put a working zImage.prep somewhere on the web (<1.44 MB, so I can 
> write it to a floppy disk)? 

yes, i'll upload working zImage.prep + .config here:

http://www.nerdbynature.de/bits/sheep/prep/

> How does your boot.log looks like?

i'll upload a boot.log too.

Christian.
- --
BOFH excuse #78:

Yes, yes, its called a design limitation