Subject: Re: [FYI] linux 2.6 still not working with PReP (ppc32)

From: Christian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 17:00:35 +0100

Sven Luther schrieb:
> 
> It is the standard powerpc debian kernel. apt-get install
> kernel-image-2.6.8-powerpc, and you will find the config in
> /boot/config-2.6.8-powerpc. All the rest of the stuff can be found in the
[...]
> 
> Well, i am really interested to know if the above debian kernel boots for you
> or not. And to find the patches that fix it if it doesn't.

ok. but 2.6.8 +2.6.9 won't boot for me, as it does not include the
prep_pci.c fix, which was introduced in 2.6.10-rc3. i assume

http://people.debian.org/~luther/prep/d-i-2005.01.03-prep

is made from a current kernel, thus containing the fix (because it's
booting, upon "configure network" the network actually works too ;))

i've fetched kernel-source-2.6.9 now, applied the prep_pci fix and
compiled the kernel. i *had* to make changes to the debian-config
(config-2.6.9-powerpc) because i am still not able to boot via disk. so i
enabled CONFIG_ROOT_NFS and CONFIG_TULIP, details here:

http://www.nerdbynature.de/bits/hal/daily/boot/config-2.6.9-powerpc
http://www.nerdbynature.de/bits/hal/daily/boot/config-2.6.9-powerpc.my
http://www.nerdbynature.de/bits/hal/2.6.10-rc3/prep_pci_renumbered-2.6.10-rc3.patch

the kernel boots, network is set up, but since everything else is modular,
it cries about several things. i can ping the host and i really think this
all would work, except when i set CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_2=y

http://www.nerdbynature.de/bits/hal/daily/boot/config-2.6.9-powerpc.my+scsi

then the ABORT and RESET errors show upon upon initialization of the
scsi-adapter (no disk attached). i don't have a fix for this scsi-issue at
hand. maybe i missed something...

hope this helps anyhow to get PReP ready for debian sometimes...
Christian.
- --
BOFH excuse #148:

Insert coin for new game