Subject: Re: Some issues with kernel 2.6 for MPC8260 target

From: Saso Kavcic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:27:23 +0100

Hi Steven,

Have you noticed any improvements in 2.6.10. over 2.6.9? We were porting 
2.6.9 to a custom mpc8275vr
board and we were able to get everything working except ethernet (fcc 
enet). We did manage to get
a few packets over it but it was all very slow, unstable and 
unpredictable and it seemed that fcc enet
driver doesn't work well in 2.6. Were you able to use fcc under 2.6.9?

Best Regards, Saso

Steven Blakeslee wrote:

>I would suggest going to the latest 2.6.10 kernel.  I have it running
>with several ethernets running on all the 82xx processors. 
>
>  
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: [email-masked] 
>>[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of 
>>Vijay Padiyar
>>Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 5:37 AM
>>To: LinuxPPC Support
>>Subject: Some issues with kernel 2.6 for MPC8260 target
>>
>>Hi all
>>
>>I wish to discuss some strange issues that I faced with 
>>respect to the Linux
>>2.6.8 kernel (downloaded from kernel.org). Firstly, I wish to 
>>know whether this has been known to work on an MPC8260 PowerPC target.
>>
>>Secondly, when I tried to compile the Linux kernel with my 
>>toolchain (built with Dan Kegel's crosstool for the PowerPC 
>>603e core, which is what my processor has), I got some errors 
>>which I found to rather queer after investigation. Firstly, 
>>let me state the errors that I got:
>>
>>------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>  LD      init/built-in.o
>>  LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
>>arch/ppc/8260_io/built-in.o(.text+0x103c): In function 
>>`mii_queue_relink':
>>arch/ppc/8260_io/fcc_enet.c:1254: undefined reference to 
>>`schedule_task'
>>arch/ppc/8260_io/built-in.o(.text+0x1074): In function 
>>`mii_queue_config':
>>arch/ppc/8260_io/fcc_enet.c:1263: undefined reference to 
>>`schedule_task'
>>
>>------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>On further investigation, I find that 'schedule_task()' is 
>>simply not defined anywhere in the 2.6.8 kernel sources. This 
>>is quite wierd! However, it is defined in a file 'context.c' 
>>(linux-src/kernel) in the 2.4.27 kernel sources, which we 
>>were using earlier. How is it that a function is being called 
>>but its definition has been removed from the sources?
>>
>>Another such example is with the structure 'tq_struct'. It is 
>>referred to in the file 'fcc_enet.c' 
>>(linux-src/arch/ppc/8260_io) but it's not defined anywhere! 
>>Again, after checking in the 2.4.27 sources, I find that it's 
>>defined in the file 'tqueue.h' (linux-src/include/linux)!
>>
>>A third thing is that the 2.4.27 kernel source file 'uart.c'
>>(linux-src/arch/ppc/cpm2_io) is not present in the 
>>corresponding folder in the 2.6.8 source 
>>(linux-src/arch/ppc/8260_io). There is one 'uart.c' in the 
>>folder '8xx_io', but it doesn't get compiled during the 
>>kernel build process. Will my UART work correctly with this build?
>>
>>Can someone please tell me if there's some explanation for 
>>this that I'm unaware of? Which would be the proper forum to 
>>report this? Again I would like to ask: Has the 2.6.8 kernel 
>>been tested successfully on the MPC8260 PowerPC platform?
>>
>>Lastly, where can I get the latest stable Linux kernel source 
>>for the PowerPC platform?
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>Vijay Padiyar
>>_______________________________________________
>>Linuxppc-embedded mailing list
>>[email-masked]
>>https://ozlabs.org/mailman/listinfo/linuxppc-embedded
>>
>>    
>>
>_______________________________________________
>Linuxppc-embedded mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://ozlabs.org/mailman/listinfo/linuxppc-embedded
>  
>