Subject: Re: [RFC] Option to disable mapping genrtc calls to ppc_md calls

From: "Mark A. Greer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:09:45 -0700

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 16:54 -0700, Mark A. Greer wrote:
>
>  
>
>>Choosing a) give you more flexibility within PPC but is PPC only; 
>>choosing b) is generic but assumes its the only rtc chip that will be 
>>used by whatever kernel binary its put in.
>>
>>I chose b) and to reuse the genrtc code.  In a sane world, reusing code 
>>is considered a good thing...
>>
>>Its obvious that you and Tom prefer a).  That's fine but if I switch to 
>>a), I know the first comment I'll get when I post the driver to lmkl 
>>will be, "Why would you make this ppc-specific when you could have made 
>>it generic?"  Will you and Tom then defend that decision for me?
>>
>>Also, this is not board-specific as you and Tom have tried to suggest.  
>>Assuming I change the #ifdef in rtc.h to remove the option as I think 
>>Tom and I are agreeing upon, you select the i2c algo/adapter, the 
>>i2c/rtc client and its there.  Where are the "gross hacks for every board"?
>>    
>>
>
>Because it makes things like CONFIG_PPC_MULTIPLATFORM impossible, which
>means you end up with a CONFIG_* mess.
>

/me feels the anger...   :)

>
>I consider that more important than re-using code.
>

Okay, it shall be so.

>
>In any case, as I wrote, the proper solution is to update genrtc to
>define rtc_ops so that you get both a) and b), it shouldn't be hard to
>update the archs using it.
>  
>

Yes but as I wrote, I don't have time right now.

Mark