Subject: Re: [PATCH 2.6.10-rc3][PPC32] Fix Motorola PReP (PowerstackII Utah) PCI IRQ map

From: Sebastian Heutling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:27:57 +0100

Leigh Brown wrote:

>Sebastian Heutling said:
>  
>
>>Meelis Roos wrote:
>>
>>    
>>
>>>>The PCI IRQ map for the old Motorola PowerStackII (Utah) boards was
>>>>incorrect, but this breakage wasn't exposed until 2.5, and finally
>>>>fixed
>>>>until recently by Sebastian Heutling <[email-masked]>.
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>Yesterday I finally got around to testing it. It seems the patch has
>>>been applied in Linus's tree so I downloaded the latest BK and tried it.
>>>
>>>Still does not work for me but this time it's different. Before the
>>>patch SCSI worked fine but PCI NICs caused hangs. Now I can't test PCI
>>>NICs because even the onboard 53c825 SCSI hangs - seems it gets no
>>>interrupts.
>>>
>>>It detects the HBA, tries device discovery, gets a timeout, ABORT,
>>>timeout, TARGET RESET, timeout, BUS RESET, timeout, HOST RESET and
>>>there it hangs.
>>>
>>>Does it work for anyone else on Powerstack II Pro4000 (Utah)?
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>It does work in 2.6.8 using backported patches (e.g. the debian 2.6.8
>>kernel). But it doesn't work above that version because of other patches
>>in arch/ppc/platforms/prep_pci.c and arch/ppc/platforms/prep_setup.c
>>(made by Tom Rini?). I couldn't find out what exactly is causing this
>>problem yet (because lack of time and the fact that my Powerstack is
>>used as a router).
>>    
>>
>
>Ah, this could well be my fault.  Those patches were to improve support
>of IBM RS/6000 PReP boxes.  Do those machines have residual data?  If
>so, could anyone who has one send me the contents of /proc/residual?
>
>Also, a full boot log when working and failing would be cool.
>  
>
No, the PowerstackII Pro4000 (Utah) has no residual. I couldn't see 
anything unusal in the bootlogs except that
neither IDE nor SCSI interrupts occour (timeouts for SCSI and lost 
interrupts for IDE). I assume other PCI-devices have a similar problem. 
I will try to extract some bootlogs in the next days but I think they 
won't help.

Basti