Subject: Re: [PATCH][PPC32] mv64x60 updates

From: "Mark A. Greer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:08:35 -0700

Sven Luther wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 08:28:56AM -0700, Mark A. Greer wrote:
>  
>
>>Sven Luther wrote:
>>
>>    
>>
>>>On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 05:14:25PM -0700, Mark A. Greer wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>has spent a lot of time making it work on both MIPS and PPC.  The code 
>>you see in the mv64x60.c file is a part of that.  I believe that Dale's 
>>    
>>
>
>Ok, so the code in question is in addition to the existing driver from the
>mips guys and works with it ?
>

If "the code in question" == the enet related code in mv64x60.c then 
yes.  However, the only enet related code in mv64x60 is platform_data 
setup and setup of the bridge's windows between the enet ctlr and system 
memory.

> I had the impression that it was a separate
>driver development or something.
>

Nope.

>
>  
>
>>patch(es) have been accepted and are queued to go into the mainline tree 
>>at some point.
>>    
>>
>
>Ok. Do you know if Dale's patches are available separatedly while they are not
>yet in mainline, so Nicolas Det can work on them and make sure they also work
>on the Pegasos board, which is not an embedded board but from the chrp
>lineage. Nicolas already did some mv643xx ethernet driver work last summer,
>but apparently had trouble integrating this in the mainline kernel, and it
>seems his work has now been redone by Dale or something. Do you know who the
>right person to communicate with about this would be ? The MIPS folk didn't
>reply to any of our mails about this subject.
>

Nicolas has emailed me off-line and he & Dale are now in contact.  FYI, 
this is part of the email from Dale to Nicolas:

>  Please see bk://[email-masked]/linux-2.5-mv643xx-enet.  Most of this is
> in netdev and mm, and on track to go into linux-2.5.

>>Did I answer your question?
>>    
>>
>
>I think so. I was just surprised to see this 64x6x work go to arch/ppc instead
>to drivers/net.
>

There is no "driver" functionality in arch/ppc.  There is only 
platform_data setup which is used by the driver and the ensuring the 
bridge's windows between the enet ctlr and system memory are set up 
correctly.

Mark