Subject: Re:problem opening I2C device on MPC8260

From: David Bruce <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:18:31 -0500

Look back into the February logs of this group that was having simular 
discussions.
In short:
a.) 2.6 has some problems with the I2C. You may have to port over 2.4 
i2c code. I don't know the specific details.
b.) you need an adapter interface to create your device(s) (/dev/i2c-0). 
See ./drivers/i2c/i2c-pm826.c. You should be able to use this untouched. 
It is part of the configuration in 2.4.x.
c.) The 2.4 version of i2c-algo-8260.c has a potential bug where all the 
__pa()'s need to be replaced by iopa().

I am using 2.4.24 of the ELDK and had problems with the i2c. Items b & c 
corrected them except that with "b" I had to load it *after* boot as a 
module. Don't know why but it works and have successfully used the i2c 
since.
-- 
David Bruce
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street
Lexington, MA 02420
781.981.3863
mailto:[email-masked]