Subject: Re: Platform bus/ppc sys model...

From: Jon Masters <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:33:00 +0100

Kumar Gala wrote:

|> My intention was to give a device tree structure to the kernel at boot
|> time via a (pseudo?) pointer in bd_info or similar. Then you would only
|>  need to recompile a little bootloader (which is needed for setting up
|> the FPGA anyway) with this structure for every specific card. You could
|> even be shrewd enough to have a single kernel image but several
|> structures to launch several processors on the same chip. Does it sound
|> like a sane solution?

This got resurrected recently. Some of us have been talking privately
about it and I should have time with a board and BDI shortly. The idea
above about the bd_info pointer is precisely what I've been working with
people off list on.

| I think this is reasonable.  The best device tree would be a flattened
| OF tree since we are trying to move the world in that direction.  Jon
| Masters around?

Yes, but I've been tied up with worky and magazine stuff again. If
someone wants to work with me then this might actually happen.

Cheers,

Jon.