Subject: Re: PREP sym53c8xx sym53c8xx brokeness due to 2.6.9-rc1-bk1 introduced residual data patch ...

From: Christian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 02:03:06 +0200

Sven Luther wrote:
>>># This is a BitKeeper generated diff -Nru style patch.
>>>#
>>># ChangeSet
>>>#   2004/08/16 10:35:18-07:00 [email-masked]
>>>#   ppc32: On PReP, use residual data for PCI dev -> IRQ, and use it.
>
> I got through all the changesets one by one, and it is most definitively this
> one. i unapply it and it works, i apply it and it breaks.

i can confirm this one.

the changesets are listed here:
http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.6/[email-masked]

...and because i had some troubles getting a GNU diff-style patch with
/usr/bin/bk, i made one against 2.6.11.6:

http://nerdbynature.de/bits/hal/2.6.11.6/1.1803.125.6.diff

more info and dmesg under:

http://nerdbynature.de/bits/hal/2.6.11.6/

to summarize: i don't know exactly which changes, but *some* changes had
to be made to arch/ppc/platforms/prep_pci.c to get the network card
working [1] again (network code kept locking up the machine). after this
issue was resolved, i too noticed the scsi errors [2] others were
complaing about.

thanks to all involved,
Christian.

[1] http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2004-December/017954.html
[2] http://nerdbynature.de/bits/hal/2.6.11-rc5/dmesg
- --
BOFH excuse #307:

emissions from GSM-phones