Subject: [Fwd: Re: iBook G3 owners]

From: Sebastian Heutling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 12:22:26 +0200

Bah! Different mailing list, different behaviour if you click on "Reply 
to Sender only"! ;-)

Sebasitna

Subject: Re: iBook G3 owners
From: Sebastian Heutling <[email-masked]>
To: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 12:19:33 +0200

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

>Hi !
>
>There have been various reports of issues with sleep among others on
>iBook G3 equiped with the 750FX processor. Also, the cpufreq code on
>these so far didn't change the CPU voltage, which limited the actual
>power saving at low frequency.
>
>I have uploaded various patches that should help fix these issues. Those
>patches are all against current linus bk and they should be all applied
>in the order below.
>
>I would really appreciate some tests as I don't have access to any of
>these machines. I need to know if cpufreq works reliably with those
>patches and if the new voltage control makes any differnece on battery
>life (check power consumption in /proc/pmu/battery_*/current when
>running on battery) and I need to know if the patches are improving
>reliability of sleep/wakeup.
>
>The 4 patches can be found at these URLs. If you had earlier versions of
>some of these, those patches replace them:
>
>http://gate.crahsing.org/~benh/ppc32-750-errata-fix.diff
>http://gate.crahsing.org/~benh/ppc32-pmac-sleep-fix.diff
>http://gate.crahsing.org/~benh/cpufreq-add-suspend.diff
>http://gate.crahsing.org/~benh/ppc32-cpufreq-gpio-off.diff
>
>Please, let me know asap,
>  
>
Sleep/wakeup works with a modified arch/ppc/platform/pmac_sleep.S (bl 
reloc_offset was missing which you send later). I still have a strange 
problem with some programs started in init-Scripts. For example if I run 
dbus on bootup and directly after that go to sleep and wake-up again my 
ibook doesn't resume harddisks leaving the following last messages:

eth0 resuming
PHY ID: 4061e4, addr: 0
eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
eth0: Pause is disabled

If I disable dbus (stop it) and go to sleep, wakeup - no problem. 
Sometimes it is even enough to just only restart the
daemon.

I'm not sure about cpufreq. I used to run the cpufreq daemon. With this 
program I realised three possible frequencies on my ibook: 400,  462, 
700 MHz. Using powernowd or directly the userspace governour gives only 
400 and 700MHz. So maybe there is something wrong here, too or this 
specific CPU/ibook does only support 2 states.

Details about the ibook:
iBook, Dual USB
blueberry:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu             : 750FX
temperature     : 1-76 C (uncalibrated)
clock           : 700MHz
revision        : 2.2 (pvr 7000 0202)
bogomips        : 1388.54
machine         : PowerBook4,3
motherboard     : PowerBook4,3 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
detected as     : 257 (iBook 2 rev. 2)
pmac flags      : 0000001b
L2 cache        : 512K unified
memory          : 384MB
pmac-generation : NewWorld

Sebastian