Subject: Re: v2.6 performance slowdown on MPC8xx: Measuring TLB cache misses

From: Pantelis Antoniou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:44:58 +0300

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Marcelo,

[depressing data snipped]

> Wolfgang Denk

Well it's a mess alright.

Unfortunately we cannot declare that we'll stay on 2.4 forever.

Several subsystems *MTD gough* do not support latest hw, or
the developers have moved on to 2.6 full time, refusing to
bother with 2.4 anymore.

Can we make an effort to pinpoint the performance
bottlenecks & re-implement the affected areas sanely?

The -tiny patchset is a start, but frankly I don't think it's
code/data footprint that it's the problem.

IMHO it's not just the small embedded systems that have been
affected; just on them the effects are more obvious.

So what do you all think?

Regards

Pantelis