Subject: Re: [PATCH] 8xx: fix usage of pinned 8Mbyte TLB entries

From: Pantelis Antoniou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 09:09:51 +0300

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>>NO.  Just leave that code alone.  I don't understand why you think
>>doing this will have any effect on the system operation.  If you are
>>able to run a system without creating these tables, then the pinned
>>TLBs must be working.  If pinned TLBs weren't working, the kernel
>>would crash.
> 
> 
> I just booted a kernel with 4kb PTE mappings at KERNELBASE and
> the pinned TLB was not trashed.
> 
> So, I was talking nonsense. :)
> 
> The only problem are DMA users who dont use dma_alloc_coherent API. 
> 
> 
> 

Perhaps I'm jumping in too late, but in my 8xx trees all my drivers
use the correct API. So this will not be a problem after we fix the
drivers :)

Regards

Pantelis