Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] Add support for Maxim/Dallas DS1374 Real-Time Clock Chip

From: Randy Vinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:05:18 -0700

Kumar Gala wrote:
> Randy,
> 
> I was planning on cloning the DS1337 driver once all of the latest  
> patches for it got into Linus's tree. 

I haven't seen any patches for the DS1337, but I admit that I wasn't 
looking very hard.

  Not sure if you looked at it,
> but when I was looking at RTC on 8349 the DS1337 seemed similar.  Not  
> sure if we can unify the DS1337 driver such that can also support the  
> DS1374.

I looked at the DS1337 driver, but that chip uses individual registers 
for the various time bits, whereas the DS1374 uses a 32-bit seconds 
count spread across 4 registers. I wasn't convinced that I could find a 
reliable way to differenciate between the 2 types at run time since they 
use the same I2C address (0x68). So, I choose to create a new driver to 
keep it simple. If there is a reliable way to handle both types in the 
same driver, I'll drop my DS1374-specific driver.

> 
> (Also, I'll wait on acceptance of the driver before pushing the board  
> code).

Agreed.

		Randy Vinson