Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] Add support for Maxim/Dallas DS1374 Real-Time Clock Chip

From: Randy Vinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:17:56 -0700

Eugene Surovegin wrote:
[snip]
> 
> I wonder, why you chose to use those 1-byte SMBus transfers instead of 
> i2c transfer.

I was simply following the guidelines in 
Documentation/i2c/writing-clients as noted in the driver header. This 
note was in the driver I used as my base, so I just followed along.

> 
> I wrote similar DS1374 driver some time ago which used those transfers 
> and they worked just fine.

I checked http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/supported.html, 
http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/newdrivers.html and looked in the 
lm_sensors-2.9.1 tarball before I started and didn't see a driver for 
the DS1374 listed. That's why I threw mine together. Maybe I missed it.

I would have used I2C transfers myself, but was simply following what I 
thought were current practices. Since this is my first I2C client, I 
just blindly followed the documentation :) Oh well, wouldn't be the 
first time I wandered down the wrong path.

		Randy Vinson