Subject: Re: [PATCH] cpm_uart: Made non-console uart work

From: Vitaly Bordug <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:50:21 +0400

>>Well, all the stuff works on 8272 even without this and likewise stuff,
>>but don't on 866ADS, where bus_to_virt returns value not equal to where
>>we allocated DMA. I didn't dig too deep to track why this happens, since
>>if we're using DMA, we should remember addresses upon allocation and
>>avoid using bus_to_virt.
>>    
>>
>
>Well, this is weird cause I've tested my latest patch on 8xx and had no 
>problems...
>
>  
>
Since currently I have no ability to reproduce this issue, I'm inclined 
to drop those hunks. BTW, why those bus_to_virt and virt_to_bus are 
used? Isn't it more clear to use pure addresses if they are dma-allocated?

>I'll try to test your patch, some time later today.
>
>However, what is important now is to get the fs_enet driver posted.
>Please test the latest patch I've send you on a linus tree and report if you
>have any problems...
>
>  
>
I'll try to test it today/tomorrow as time permits...  But do you think 
it can proceed with those mii issues? Though they are almost harmless, 
the driver will complain that no PHY found but all seem to work fine 
subsequently. As far as Andy's phy will likely to be in rc14, maybe we 
can try to push this upstream (as what we have currently for 82xx and 
especially for 8xx is IMO worse than even incomplete implementation). 
I'll try to  investigate mii troubles, but it's hard to estimate efforts...

>Regards
>Pantelis

-- 
Sincerely, 
Vitaly