Subject: Re: Best kernel for Xilinx VirtexII Pro/PPC405 ?

From: Peter Ryser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 07:33:25 -0700

Good to hear that you got everything working. Just as a note: XAPP542 
(http://direct.xilinx.com/bvdocs/appnotes/xapp542.pdf) contains a patch 
for the Linux kernel to make it work together with U-Boot.

Does linuxppc-2.4 still accept patches?

- Peter

Keith J Outwater wrote:

>Hi Peter - 
>Well, the good news is that it works, and works well.  In my humble 
>opinion, supporting it would be pretty simple, but I completely understand 
>why RHEL is the supported distribution.  I would much rather see effort 
>put into polishing up EDK under Linux than in supporting every Linux 
>distro out there.
>For me, the bottom line was this: do I want to migrate all of other 
>development activities from FC4 to RHEL for the sake of EDK, or try to run 
>EDK under FC4?  I tried the latter approach, and now that the Jungo 
>WinDriver v7.1 is out, parallel port debugging works by simply using 
>WinDriver 7.1 and patching the Xilinx XPC4 parport driver.
>I now have the kernel booting on a Memec 2VP50 eval board using U-Boot as 
>the bootloader.  I used the linuxppc-2.4 kernel rsynced from MontaVista. 
>That particular kernel did not have support for U-Boot but it did support 
>the ML300 and a Memec 2VP40/2VP70 board.  I had to modify the kernel to 
>accept a board description structure from U-Boot and I added a new board 
>type for my custom hardware.
>The approach I took was definitely the "roll your own approach", but then 
>again I've done this (Linux board ports) a couple times and I know U-Boot 
>well.
>Keith
>
>Peter Ryser <[email-masked]> wrote on 08/18/2005 07:39:21 AM:
>
>  
>
>>>I am running all of my development tools (EDK, ISE, ELDK, etc...) 
>>>      
>>>
>under 
>  
>
>>>Fedora Core 4, so I am looking for a publicly accessible kernel source 
>>>tree that best supports the PPC405 in the Virtex II Pro.
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>Keep in mind that EDK and ISE are not "officially" supported on FC4. 
>>Anyway, with EDK, ISE, and ELDK you seem to have all that is needed to 
>>get started with Linux on Virtex-II Pro and Virtex-4.
>>
>>- Peter
>>
>>
>>    
>>
>
>
>  
>