Subject: Platform device model drawback

From: Vitaly Bordug <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:51:20 +0300

Hi, Greg!

While doing "platformization" for one of the Freescale SoC's, I have 
discovered a serious drawback of the model - it prevents registering 
driver with the same name.

For instance, cpm2 on either ppc82xx or ppc85xx is very flexible, and 
its device fsl-cpm-scc could (and actually are) utilized in the 
different drivers.

Those devices will have different bus_id, but pdev->name fields are the 
same for all the fsl-cpm-scc, only id is different there. Hence the 
fsl-cpm-scc could be driver_register'ed only once, while it is required 
several times.

Could you please suggest possible solutions for this situation? This is 
relatively common case among freescale chips, so I guess inventing a 
workaround is odd, and writing an additional shim to handle CPM device 
multiplexing  is odd either.

TIA!
--
Sincerely,
Vitaly