Subject: Building a Root Filesystem

From: Michael Boutte <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 00:17:54 -0800

Hi,
I seem to be stuck at one point in my first embedded Linux project. I 
built a custom MPC875 board and have figured out how to get U-Boot to 
compile and run. Then I learned to compile an initial Linux 2.4.25 using 
the ELDK with a basic root filesystem via the "SELF" included in the 
ELDK (thank you WD and others). Now I want to build a new root 
filesystem with the modules included. So then I have used the "make 
modules" and "make ... modules_install" commands plus used the procedure 
in the DULG section 9.6 to unpack the ramdisk image and mount it in the 
/mnt/tmp/ directory.
That is point where I do not know what to do next. It would seem that I 
need to merge the modules and other items I may want to add (for example 
appWeb) with the simple root filesystem and re-compress it for use just 
like the original ramdisk image. I just do not seem to find any 
information on this process either in the DULG or anywhere else on the web.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Boutte