Subject: Re: Booting from RAM Disk

From: Grant Likely <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 09:50:07 -0700

David H. Lynch Jr. wrote:
> Grant Likely wrote:
> 
> 	I have never tried to build an initrd system.

rolling up an initrd & kernel is actually very simple; but I had to read
the Makefile to figure out how to do it!  I do it by copying
ramdisk.image.gz into arch/ppc/boot/images and building 'make
zImage.initrd'.

> 
> 	I like initramfs - the only problem I had putting it together was
> finding the information to do it.
> 
> 	In the instance of the E12 I needed something that was wrapped into a
> single file with the kernl. The E12 already had an elf loader, but all
> it did was load elf files. It did not handle ramdisk other images etc.
> INITRAMFS provided a means to start on the E12 without having to write
> another loader.

So... how do you build the initramfs?

I'd prefer to use initramfs; I just haven't had a whole lot of luck with
it and other concerns took my focus.  :/

Thanks,
g.

-- 
Grant Likely, B.Sc. P.Eng.
Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.
(403) 663-0761