Subject: Re: Yosemite/440EP 'issues' as a PCI target

From: David Hawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:58:23 -0800

Hey Travis,

 >> Not great, so any suggestions for whats better?
 >>
 > Everyone uses them because they're easy and just work. Sometimes
 > you may need to tweak the setup eeprom, but in general they just work.
 > We use a pericom 7300 (can't remember and working from home
 > today), that is quite nice.  Not an issue with it at all. HW
 > guy just plunked it down and it worked.  They have an eval board to.

I was going to take a look around TIs site, I'd forgotten Pericom
makes bridges too, I'll read the data book.

 > ... I've not had a need to use it, my work is 90% PCI
 > (forwarding engine, queueing engine, etc) for 10G ethernet, so
 > FPU stuff is very rare, and not time critical (used for setting
 > up policing/rate limiting etc). Basically, set it and forget it
 > calculations.

I figured that was probably the case - and the reason the majority
of the embedded processors are sans-FPU. I didn't want to use a
TI DSP again, there's just no 'community spirit' like with Linux.

So, I'll take a look at the PowerQUICC that Wolfgang mentioned, and
see if I want to change to that processor, another look at the ColdFire
(I have an MCF5485 eval board), and a look at the bridge data sheets
and see where that leaves me.

Personally, I want to stay with the PowerPC, the developer mailing
list is great!

Thanks,
Dave