Subject: make modules_install fails with [_modinst_post] Error 139

From: John Otken <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 13:08:33 -0600

I'm trying to build the USB gadget file storage module for
a Yosemite board using the latest Denx kernel and ELDK4.

$ make yosemite_defconfig
$ make menuconfig  # turn on CONFIG_USB_FILE_STORAGE <M>
$ make uImage
$ make modules
$ make modules_install INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/opt/eldk4/ppc_4xxFP
   INSTALL drivers/usb/gadget/g_file_storage.ko
if [ -r System.map -a -x /sbin/depmod ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map -b /opt/eldk4/ppc_4xxFP -r 2.6.15-g6afd198e; fi
make: *** [_modinst_post] Error 139

I see a g_file_storage.ko but I get an "Invalid module" if I
try to modprobe it.

I do want to solve this problem, but if anyone wants to give
me the trick to building the gadget driver into kernel and
passing the file=disk_image parameter, I'd like to know that
as well.

Thanks in advance.