Subject: Re: Moving from 2.4 to 2.6 kernel

From: Chris Dumoulin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 15:17:33 -0400

I'm looking into getting a BDI 2000 so I can start stepping through and 
see what is going on.

I looked at the ML300 and V2Pro code in the arch/ppc/platforms/4xx 
folder, but I did not use any of that in my code. It looks like this is 
intended to be used with the BSP that is generated by Xilinx Platform 
Studio. I've tried generating the BSP this way, but the generated code 
is obviously not a complete patch to port Linux to your hardware, and I 
figure that by the time I figure out what I do/don't have to add, I 
might as well write the whole thing by myself. Have you had success 
integrating the automatically generated BSP from Xilinx Platform Studio?

Regards,
Chris

Grant Likely wrote:

> On 5/4/06, Chris Dumoulin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to take a working embedded linux system from kernel 2.4 to
>> 2.6. The hardware is a custom board using a Virtex II Pro with PPC405
>> processor.
>> The working system uses u-boot 1.1.1 with linux kernel 2.4.18.
>>
>> I am using the same u-boot and I am trying to port linux kernel 2.6.15
>> to our platform. Using the stuff from the working 2.4 kernel port and
>> other PPC4xx platforms in the 2.6.15 code as examples, I believe I have
>> done everything required to get the kernel booting. However, the kernel
>> seems to hang after being uncompressed. Here is what I see after running
>> bootm from u-boot:
>
>
> The V2pro is already supported in the 2.6 kernel.  Are you using that
> code; or starting from scratch?  V2Pro (ML300) and V4FX (ML403) are
> both supported in the latest 2.6 kernel.
>
> I had similar problems when I was porting to the V4FX.  Do you have a
> JTAG debugger (Like a BDI-2000)?  I think your best bet is to get in
> there with a debugger to find out where it goes off into Lala land.
>
> Cheers,
> g.
>
> -- 
> Grant Likely, B.Sc. P.Eng.
> Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.
> (403) 399-0195
>
>

-- 
*--Christopher Dumoulin--*
Software Team Leader

<http://ics-ltd.com/>
<http://ics-ltd.com/>

Interactive Circuits and Systems Ltd.
5430 Canotek Road
Ottawa, ON
K1J 9G2
(613)749-9241
1-800-267-9794 (USA only)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
This e-mail is private and confidential and is for the addressee only. 
If misdirected, please notify us by telephone and confirm that it has 
been deleted from your system and any hard copies destroyed. You are 
strictly prohibited from using, printing, distributing or disseminating 
it or any information contained in it save to the intended recipient.