Subject: Re: Moving from 2.4 to 2.6 kernel

From: Chris Dumoulin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 09:39:35 -0400

Grant Likely wrote:

> On 5/4/06, Chris Dumoulin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking into getting a BDI 2000 so I can start stepping through and
>> see what is going on.
>>
>> I looked at the ML300 and V2Pro code in the arch/ppc/platforms/4xx
>> folder, but I did not use any of that in my code. It looks like this is
>> intended to be used with the BSP that is generated by Xilinx Platform
>> Studio. I've tried generating the BSP this way, but the generated code
>> is obviously not a complete patch to port Linux to your hardware, and I
>> figure that by the time I figure out what I do/don't have to add, I
>> might as well write the whole thing by myself. Have you had success
>> integrating the automatically generated BSP from Xilinx Platform Studio?
>
>
> No; the stuff in 2.6 is not integrated w/ platform studio.  (only 2.4
> is).  However, you do need to extract the xparameters.h file from the
> platform studio BSP.  You can generate a Linux BSP w/o actually
> telling it where your Linux tree is.  Once its generated; pull out
> xparameters.h and drop it into arch/ppc/platforms/4xx/xparameters/ in
> your source tree.  Note: it's important that you generate a LINUX BSP;
> not a 'standalone' bsp.  If you don't, then you'll be missing a bunch
> of #defines.
>
> Let me say that once more for clarity: The only file you need from
> platform studio is the generated xparameters.h
>
> This will give you at the very least a serial port driver.  Once your
> booting with that, you can focus on other device drivers.
>
> Trust me; this is the path of far less pain.
>
> Cheers,
> g.
>
>
> -- 
> Grant Likely, B.Sc. P.Eng.
> Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.
> (403) 399-0195
>
>
I generated the xparameters_ml300.h file and built my kernel configured 
for the ML300 board, but I still had the same problem. I'm wondering if 
there's something in the hardware that's not being setup by u-boot as 
the linux kernel expects it. I'm looking through the ML300 code in 
u-boot 1.1.4 to see if can spot anything that's being done in there 
that's not being done in my u-boot code. Do you have any ideas about 
some hardware (or other)  initialization that I could be neglecting to 
do in u-boot that might cause things to hang?

On a similar note, is there any guide to porting u-boot that I could 
read that would enumerate all the steps I should be taking in u-boot? I 
know the README in the u-boot source basically says to browse the 
mailing list (which I'm doing), read the DULG (which I've done), and 
read the source (which I'm also doing), but some kind of succinct guide 
would be nice, if it exists.

Cheers,
Chris

-- 
*--Christopher Dumoulin--*
Software Team Leader

<http://ics-ltd.com/>
<http://ics-ltd.com/>

Interactive Circuits and Systems Ltd.
5430 Canotek Road
Ottawa, ON
K1J 9G2
(613)749-9241
1-800-267-9794 (USA only)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
This e-mail is private and confidential and is for the addressee only. 
If misdirected, please notify us by telephone and confirm that it has 
been deleted from your system and any hard copies destroyed. You are 
strictly prohibited from using, printing, distributing or disseminating 
it or any information contained in it save to the intended recipient.