Subject: Re: Base address of executables - weirdness?

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 14:21:57 -0700

Andreas Schwab wrote:
> "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Until recently, binaries linked with ld defaulted to a base address of 
>> 0x10000000+SIZEOF_HEADERS.  However, recently I've gotten a couple of 
>> reports -- and I've been able to confirm this on my FC5 system -- that 
>> some versions of ld links at 0x01800000+SIZEOF_HEADERS.
> 
> You are probably using the wrong linker emulation.  There are three
> emulations enabled when building binutils for ppc-linux, but only the
> elf32ppclinux emulation it the right one that uses 0x10000000 for the base
> address.
> 

Hm.  Well, it's using the default one, but perhaps I should try to specify an explicit -m 
option.  Sure enough, that did the trick.

THANKS!

	-hpa