Subject: Re: PPC405 system slow boot

From: Peter Ryser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:45:28 -0700

Clint,

check the interrupt sub-system of your design. What you describe 
typically happens when the PPC does not get any interrupts from the 
UART. It's most likely a mismatch between your hardware and the 
xparameters.h.

- Peter

Clint Thomas wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I've run through the loops to try and figure what could be wrong with 
> this system. The board in question is modeled after the Xilinx ML300 
> board. It uses a Xilinx System ACE chip to load a FPGA / Kernel image 
> from compact flash. Originally, I was trying to use the CompactFlash 
> as the root file system, but because of issues in either the design or 
> software, this would only work if SysAce was in polled I/O mode. To 
> circumvent this, I built my root filesystem into an initrd image and 
> built a single ELF file with the Kernel and RFS, then strapped that to 
> the FPGA bit file to make a single FPGA/Kernel/RFS SysAce file.
>
> Upon decompression, the Linux kernel boots quickly and loads all of 
> the device drivers. However when it gets to the prompt, it starts 
> slowing down. Output and input to and from the board becomes very very 
> slow (it displays 2 characters roughly every 20 seconds). Originally I 
> believed this to be the CPU still polling SystemAce, so I disabled the 
> Linux System ACE drivers to remove that as a possibility, however 
> after doing this, the problem still persists, even with the RFS in 
> ram! Has anybody encountered a similar situation to this before, with 
> possible insight towards a solution? Thank you for your time.
>  
> Clinton Thomas
> [email-masked]
>  
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>Linuxppc-embedded mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://ozlabs.org/mailman/listinfo/linuxppc-embedded
>