Subject: Re: Serial problem with MPC8241-based board

From: Zoltan HERPAI <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 20:13:30 +0200

None of the iterations worked with the Sandpoint and Linkstation setups. 
Is there some way to test basic serial communication within the kernel, 
to at least see if the CPU initialization is done correctly?

-w-

Michael Galassi wrote:
>> I've recently acquired an Allnet 6250 NAS, which has an MPC8241-based 
>> board. Since its GPL tarball is not available fully, I began to build a 
>> toolchain based on gcc-3.4.6 and binutils-2.16.1, and an up-to-date 
>> kernel for it. PPCboot states that this is a Sandpoint 8241 Unity board, 
>> so the platforms/sandpoint.* was chosen as a starting point, however, 
>> after rewriting the irq and ioport values in sandpoint.h to the ones 
>> (irq 137, ioport 0x80004500), no output came out of the serial port. 
>> After a few days of tweaking around with variables is sandpoint.h, a 
>> google session revealed that this board is 99% the same as the Buffalo 
>> Linkstation's is, which has a 2.6.x port also, but those kernels are 
>> also failing to display any output.
>> Can anyone shed some light on what points should I check and what may I 
>> have done wrong?
>>     
>
> I've recently spent a bunch of time chasing after display issues related
> to the goofy way Linux handles consoles early on.  Try removing console=
> from your boot arguments and see where that puts you.
>
> -michael
>
>