Subject: OT: Re: [U-Boot-Users] Status of OF in TQM8540 and linux-2.6.17.11

From: Clemens Koller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 15:28:54 +0200

Hello, Wolfgang!

-> moving from u-boot-users to linuxppc-embedded

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <[email-masked]> you wrote:
> 
>>Now I try to boot a current linux kernel - the vanilla 2.6.17.11
>>with the default tqm8540 config but it doesn't show any sign of life
> 
> Please use the kernel from our repo instead; see
> http://www.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-2.6-denx.git

Okay, the compilation after a make TQM8540_defconfig fails:

clemens@ecam:~/git/linux-2.6-denx$ make uImage
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
  SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-ppc
  CHK     include/linux/compile.h
  CC      arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.o
In file included from arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:23:
include/asm/cpm2.h:1193:1: warning: "FCC2_MEM_OFFSET" redefined
include/asm/cpm2.h:1192:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:99: error: `F1_RXCLK' undeclared here (not in a function)
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:99: error: `F1_TXCLK' undeclared here (not in a function)
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:99: error: initializer element is not constant
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:99: error: (near initialization for `mpc85xx_fcc1_pdata.clk_route')
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:100: error: initializer element is not constant
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:100: error: (near initialization for `mpc85xx_fcc1_pdata.clk_trx')
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:117: error: `F2_RXCLK' undeclared here (not in a function)
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:117: error: `F2_TXCLK' undeclared here (not in a function)
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:117: error: initializer element is not constant
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:117: error: (near initialization for `mpc85xx_fcc2_pdata.clk_route')
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:118: error: initializer element is not constant
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:118: error: (near initialization for `mpc85xx_fcc2_pdata.clk_trx')
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:135: error: `F3_RXCLK' undeclared here (not in a function)
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:135: error: `F3_TXCLK' undeclared here (not in a function)
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:135: error: initializer element is not constant
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:135: error: (near initialization for `mpc85xx_fcc3_pdata.clk_route')
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:136: error: initializer element is not constant
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:136: error: (near initialization for `mpc85xx_fcc3_pdata.clk_trx')
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:138: error: `FCC3_MEM_OFFSET' undeclared here (not in a function)
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:138: error: initializer element is not constant
arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.c:138: error: (near initialization for `mpc85xx_fcc3_pdata.mem_offset')
make[1]: *** [arch/ppc/syslib/mpc85xx_devices.o] Error 1
make: *** [arch/ppc/syslib] Error 2

>>Are there any tips&tricks to consider regarding that point?
> 
> Yes, use a working kernel. Not all our patches have been accepted
> upstream, and we have some lag with re-submissions.

According to TQC, the latest "working" kernel was a 2.6.15-git from your
(denx) tree. I get the details from Mr. Becher@TQC and see how far I can get.

Okay, let's move over to linux-ppc-embedded. (xposting)

Best greets,

Clemens Koller
_______________________________
R&D Imaging Devices
Anagramm GmbH
Rupert-Mayer-Str. 45/1
81379 Muenchen
Germany

http://www.anagramm.de
Phone: +49-89-741518-50
Fax: +49-89-741518-19