Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add of_platform_device_scan().

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 11:32:20 -0500

Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> I think it would be much more helpful to have working probing of all
> SOC buses during bootup.

I agree; I avoided doing that for now because I was uneasy about 
duplicating device nodes for SOC devices covered under the non-OF 
platform bus via code in sysdev/fsl_soc.c.  It probably won't cause any 
real problems unless a single device matches drivers on both buses (in 
which case the of_device driver would probably be calling 
of_platform_device_scan() anyway), but still...

What I'd really like (long-term, of course) is if platform_device and 
of_device were merged, with device tree support (or at least a means of 
passing on properties that *could* come from a device tree without 
special glue code that knows about each property) in arch-neutral code; 
the mechanism for discovering devices ideally shouldn't depend on the 
CPU's instruction set.

> +	for (child = NULL; (child = of_get_next_child(root, child)); ) {
> +		if (strcmp(child->type, "spider") == 0) {
> +			ret = of_soc_device_create(child, NULL);
> +			if (ret)
> +				goto out3;
> +		}
> +	}

Why only spider?

-Scott