Subject: Re: [PATCH] General CHRP/MPC5K2 Platform and drivers support - to comment

From: Nicolas DET <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 16:24:11 +0200

Kumar Gala wrote:

 >>
 >> > 4. look at replacing sram_allocator w/rheap
 >> >
 >>
 >> This SRAM allocator is the exact same from the original Linux one. In
 >> fact, it is the original one. Would it be possible to accept this code
 >> as it is and schedule rheap integration later ?
 >
 > I dont follow, what do you mean by 'original Linux one' ?

There are already some kind of Bestcomm DMA engine supoprt for some 
embbeded system (ARCH=ppc). In order to speed up the developement, the 
API is (almost) compatible so we can use the drivers wrote for this API. 
For example, the Ethernet driver enterily rely on this API. However, the 
'soon to be release' ATA driver has been rewritten.

I did not at the time (yet) to look at rheap, but I know the current 
allocator is not really good (it can not free!).

I was just thinking, as this code is alraedy in some Linux tree, we 
could still use it there, and plan to replace it by a much better one 
(keeping the API compatible) later on.

Regards,