Subject: Re: [PATCH] General CHRP/MPC5K2 Platform and drivers support - to comment

From: Matt Sealey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:44:59 +0200

Paul Mackerras wrote:
> Matt Sealey writes:
>
> "PowerPC" is the name of the instruction set architecture, "POWER" is
> the name of some specific implementations of the PowerPC architecture
> made by a certain large multinational computer company.  Unless you're
> talking about the really really old ISA that was the predecessor of
> PowerPC, that is. :)

http://www.power.org/news/articles/new_brand/#isa

I'm talking about the one they consolidated from all the different specs
Freescale, AMCC and IBM had about what makes a PowerPC processor. Since
POWER is part of it and it's all Power.org now.. they seem to have changed
the name.

I don't think they have actually added anything new, that wasn't there
before, just consolidated it. You won't seen an IBM chip with SPE or VLE
unless they license the gaggle of patents Freescale have on those
units, maybe.. but there is always a possibility. All new chips are
being called Power (not POWER).

-- 
Matt Sealey <[email-masked]>
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations