Subject: Re: Using WindRiver Probe JTAG

From: Steven Hein <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 08:00:34 -0500

Hi Michael,

We just went through this same selection process for a new project

(MPC83xx based), and we ended up choosing the BDI2000.

I asked WindRiver folks the same question, regarding the WR ICE

interaction with GDB.    They told me that they do not play together,

WR ICE uses WR proprietary communication to the debugger SW.

If you're already using WR workbench, I think your only option

is to use the WR ice.    (When we evaluated WR tools for our project,

it seemed like going with WR is an all-or-nothing deal--and we already

had experience with the GCC toolchains, GDB debugger, etc. So, we

chose the GCC/GDB/BDI2000 approach).

Hope this helps.

Steve

Michael Zagalsky wrote:

Hi guys.

I'd like to know if anybody had an experience using Wind River
Probe JTAG with PowerPC architecture in general, and with PowerQuicc
iii family in particular.

We're using WR workbench, but I am not sure whether to use their
JTAG or the popular BDI2000.

Does anybody know if WR Probe uses GDB, or something proprietary
to WR?

Can it be attached to gdb/ddd/eclipse, or only to WR workbench
IDE?

For kernel debugging with symbolic information - can it use any
binary compiled with -g, or it has to be compiled under WR workbench
environment that has some add-ons (I know, it sounds strange - but I
actually heard some vague saying of this kind from WR representative).

I know those are questions that should be addressed to Wind
River , which I did, but I didn't get clear enough answers - so your
(good/bad) field experience could be very helpful.

Thanks a lot,

Michael

_______________________________________________
Linuxppc-embedded mailing list
[email-masked]
https://ozlabs.org/mailman/listinfo/linuxppc-embedded

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steve Hein ([email-masked]) Engineering Diagnostics/Software
Silicon Graphics, Inc.
1168 Industrial Blvd. Phone: (715) 726-8410
Chippewa Falls, WI 54729 Fax: (715) 726-6715
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~