Subject: Re: [PATCH] General CHRP/MPC5K2 platform support patch

From: Nicolas DET <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 13:17:16 +0200 (MEST)

Paul Mackerras wrote:
 > Nicolas DET writes:
 >
 >>  	if (machine && strncmp(machine, "Pegasos", 7) == 0) {
 >>  		_chrp_type = _CHRP_Pegasos;
 >> +	} else if (machine && strncmp(machine, "EFIKA5K2", 8) == 0) {
 >> +		_chrp_type =_CHRP_E5K2;
 >
 > This whole _chrp_type thing, and having to do different things based
 > on the root-node model property, is really only a workaround for
 > older machines with inadequate device trees.  Decisions about things
 > like which interrupt controller driver(s) to instantiate should be
 > taken based on properties in the appropriate device-tree nodes, for
 > instance the model and compatible properties in the node(s) for the
 > interrupt controller(s).  In fact I'd like to get rid of _chrp_type
 > completely.
 >

I remove this part of the patch which is only cosmetic (good CHRP name).

 >> diff -uprN a/include/asm-ppc/mpc52xx.h b/include/asm-ppc/mpc52xx.h
 >> --- a/include/asm-ppc/mpc52xx.h	2006-10-25 19:07:48.000000000 +0200
 >> +++ b/include/asm-ppc/mpc52xx.h	2006-10-25 19:11:55.000000000 +0200
 >> @@ -119,7 +119,7 @@ enum ppc_sys_devices {
 >>  #define MPC52xx_SDMA_IRQ_NUM	17
 >>  #define MPC52xx_PERP_IRQ_NUM	23
 >>
 >> -#define MPC52xx_CRIT_IRQ_BASE	1
 >> +#define MPC52xx_CRIT_IRQ_BASE	0
 >
 > What is this going to do to other 52xx users?
 >

IRQ 0 may cause issue in earlier kernel as far as I understood. New one, 
using the new IRQ stuff, just works (at least works great here).

This is a revert change from:
http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=e21b9f2e9a580ce7375ec58953c1bb19aabe0db4
Regards,