Subject: Re: [PATCH] PowerPC: clockevents and HRT support

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 02:21:29 +0300

Hello.

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>>    That's not equivalent. What I wanted to cover with this option was 970 
>>weirdness of the decrementer interrupts being level triggered and effectively 
>>tied to the MSB of the decremeneter register...
>>    Also, 40x decrementer is not Book E compatible.

> Well... Is this specific to the 970 or also happens on all
> POWER4..5..6 ? (I don't remember off the top of my head). It should
> probably be a runtime check then.

    I don't have the docs on POWER[456], so can't say anything.

>>>Also, what's the problem with ppc64 deterministic accounting that you
>>>can't fix it ?

>>    Arch-specific accounting hooks which this feature makes use of can't be 
>>called from the generic clockevents code.

> Then the generic clockevent code will have to be fixed or powerpc not
> ported to it.

    Whatever. I don't care about that feature. I did my best to solve this 
gracefully.

> Ben.

WBR, Sergei