Subject: Re: ipr SATA support is causing problems

From: Brian King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 09:07:35 -0600

Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 23:07 +1100, Paul Mackerras wrote:
>> Josh Boyer writes:
>>
>>> John Rose reported this a few days ago.  Brian responded with this:
>>>
>>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ide&m=116169938407596&w=2
>> Didn't John say he still saw the crash with that change?
> 
> He did on my suggestion, which technically wasn't correct.  I haven't
> seen anything from him after Brian replied with a real patch.
> 
> I know I helped debug a crash that looked very much like that on a P5
> box with a 2.6.19-rcX kernel and Brian's patch fixed it.

Paul,

The backtrace you posted is identical to the problem fixed by the patch
that Josh pointed you to. The patch has been submitted to Jeff. I asked
Jeff two days ago if this could be pulled in for 2.6.19. I verified the
bug and the fix on my machine. As far as I know, John still has not tried
the actual patch pointed to above. Just to clarify, without this patch,
any monolithic kernel will not work on pseries, but modular kernels will
still work. If someone can reproduce any problem with the libata patch
above applied, please let me know.

Brian

-- 
Brian King
eServer Storage I/O
IBM Linux Technology Center