Subject: Re: ipr SATA support is causing problems

From: Brian King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 09:23:14 -0600

Paul Mackerras wrote:
> Brian,
> 
> Today I compiled up a kernel from Linus' git tree and tried it on a
> POWER6 partition.  First I found that my config no longer had the ipr
> driver, because I didn't have CONFIG_ATA and ipr now depends on
> CONFIG_ATA.  So I enabled CONFIG_ATA without enabling any of the ATA
> chip drivers, which seems a little weird, and re-enabled ipr.

I'm not sure what the best way to fix this one is... The ideal way is to
change ipr to select CONFIG_ATA, but kconfig currently doesn't handle
that and complains about recursive dependencies since IPR depends on
CONFIG_SCSI and CONFIG_ATA selects CONFIG_SCSI. I'm guessing the
libsas SATA usage has similar problems. Right now we both use a depends
CONFIG_ATA statement. Ideally, kconfig should be fixed to handle this.

Brian

-- 
Brian King
eServer Storage I/O
IBM Linux Technology Center