Subject: Re: ipr SATA support is causing problems

From: Brian King <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 17:56:12 -0600

Paul Mackerras wrote:
> How hard would it be to make the SATA bits conditionally compiled in,
> depending on CONFIG_ATA?

I took a look at doing this. It got a bit messy with a bunch of ifdefs,
then I realized that doing this would break module dependencies. If
ipr does not depend on CONFIG_ATA, then libata will not automatically
get loaded (or built into initrd's) when ipr is needed.

The best way I can see to accomplish your desired goal is to do something
like the fusion driver did and separate out the sas bits from the scsi
bits and essentially end up with multiple ipr modules. Unfortunately,
this is not 2.6.19 material, but I could start working on it if you
thought it sounded like a reasonable direction.

Brian

-- 
Brian King
eServer Storage I/O
IBM Linux Technology Center