Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/16] cell: abstract spu management routines

From: Geoff Levand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 20:34:13 -0800

Michael Ellerman wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 12:01 -0800, Geoff Levand wrote:
>> This adds a platform specific spu management abstraction and the coresponding
>> routines to support the IBM Cell Blade.  It also removes the hypervisor only
>> resources that were included in struct spu.
>> 
>> Three new platform specific routines are introduced, spu_enumerate_spus(),
>> spu_create_spu() and spu_destroy_spu().  The underlining design uses a new
>> type, struct spu_management_ops, to hold function pointers that the platform
>> setup code is expected to initialize to instances appropriate to that platform.
>> 
>> For the IBM Cell Blade support, I put the hypervisor only resources that were
>> in struct spu into a platform specific data structure struct spu_pdata.
> 
> As far as I can see you haven't posted your HV-backed management ops, is
> that right?

Yes, that is in '[PATCH 15/16] cell: add ps3 platform spu support' posted
with the other ps3pf patches.

> Why can't your PS3 platform code fake-up device nodes for SPUs? It seems
> that would simplify this quite a lot.

Seems like a hack to me.  My concern is that I just have to keep adding some
extra hack for every new spu feature that comes out.  I would prefer to make
a proper design from the start, but if anyone can be more convincing I am
open to suggestions.

-Geoff