Subject: Re: [PATCH] powerpc: consolidate mpc83xx platform files

From: Geoff Thorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 12:48:47 -0500

'day,

I'm inclined to defer to the maintainer's prerogative of judging the 
acceptability of code. :-) Thanks for responding.

However I have a couple of little responses regarding other matters;

Kumar Gala wrote:

> There are a number of subtle reasons I think a generic port is  
> pointless and the only arguments I've heard are some concern about  
> duplication of code and the ability to boot a kernel w/o modification  
> on new HW.

To each their own "concern" I guess. "Duplication of code and the 
ability to boot a kernel w/o modification on new HW" both seem like 
pretty legitimate concerns to me. That this may or may not be acceptable 
on a technical level should be the focus, but it seems irrational to 
presume to stipulate what interests/concerns other hackers should and 
should not have? This is linux, not windows.

> The duplication code I believe is a style issue and we can reduce the  
> duplication to a minimum.  The ability to boot a kernel w/o  
> modification on new HW is a nice to have, but I dont see this as  
> providing any "real value".

Same comment.

> I'd rather see people spending time on problems which need solutions  
> and this isn't one of them.

Um, with all due respect. You are invoking what could only be described 
as "employer's privilege". I doubt the concern here came purely from 
someone having nothing better to do and being totally lost for ideas. No 
doubt they'll correct me if I'm wrong :-)

I have no comment on your technical objections, only the(se) 
non-technical one(s).

(Seasonal) cheers,
Geoff