Subject: how to extend the phy abstraction layer?

From: jordi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 18:06:19 +0100

Hi,

I want to add support for phy devices like ICplus' IC175C 
(http://www.icplus.com.tw/pp-IP175C.html) in the kernel in a sane and 
proper manner.  This kind of phy devices have only one phy address in 
the MII bus and has several  line connections, they name it integrated 
switch.
The current phy_device structure and the phy abstraction layer is not 
prepared for this kind of devices.   

How would be the best approach to expand the current phy abstraction 
layer to take into account this kind of devices?

I was thinking in something like changing the phy_device structure, 
divide it in MII bus related fields and physical connection related 
fields. The physical connection related fields will be together in a 
phy_connection structure. the phy_device structure will maintain a list 
of phy_connection structures.
The phy related functions will be changed to use the phy_connection 
structure (the phy_connection has a pointer to its parent phy_device 
structure).

There is any on-going project trying to give support to these devices ?

--
Jordi Polo
IronGate S.L R&D Team